Thursday, March 7

U of O- Mackinzie's race report


            I just want to start out with how incredibly FUN the race weekend was!!! The food was incredible (nutritious and delicious), the 6 hour long car ride on the way back probably generated to most laughter/time interval in my entire life, there was so much green and so many hills, and I was so inspired by watching all my teammates race and hearing the cheering squads while I raced.
This was my first time racing road and I had no idea what to expect or how the whole weekend schedule would turn out. I was excited for sure and didn’t really feel any pressure, but it was still something new and I was like ‘three races in one weekend…?’
            The road race started off at a reasonable pace, just cruising down the road while the field sorted itself out. Then we hit the first hill and I make the rookiest move, dropping a chain while shifting, and then somehow found myself unable to shift it back on. So I hopped off my bike quick, fixed the chain and got back on just in time to follow the last rider up the hill before the follow car caught up. I put out a hard effort then to catch back up to the lead group, knowing that I couldn’t let them get away and it would be easier once I caught up and could draft again. Once with the lead group, we hung together mostly until the big hill in the middle of the lap and I realized how stressful it is to race in a pack of other people. You never know when they might make a move or if you’re in a good position. And just being surrounded by other riders of questionable handling skills kept me constantly on the alert. As we reached the climb, girl from ID struck out off the front and I followed. I didn’t manage to quite keep up, but I kept her in sight up the winding ascent, kept up a good pace and I think even started to reel her in by the end of the climb. She reached the downhill ahead of me and I never really saw her after that. (It was downhill all the way to the finish line except for the last short steep punch.) I felt good after the race though and finished 2nd so that was awesome.
Later that day, about 40 minutes before the start of the TTT, I decided I’d better get up from my huddled position in the trailer and start getting ready. It turns out that sitting or standing in the damp and the cold for hours isn’t a great strategy for staying warm so the TTT was a great excuse to work up a little body heat. Molly, Luke and Alberto all have plenty more to say about this particular TTT ;) but I will remark that while I’m told TTT’s are supposed to be flat, this one experience would lead me to believe otherwise..
            I was probably the most nervous for the crit the next day, but it ended up being the icing on the cake (if I ate cake and liked icing). I started out by positioning myself near the front, paying attention to the speeding up that was happening near the start/finish line. When a prime lap came up, instead of fighting the lead girl for the points, I just followed her at a slightly more reasonable output of energy and then sprinted around her as soon as she started slowing down. When I looked back after the corner, she wasn’t right behind me so I put my head down and basically time trialed the rest of the way in to a solo win.
            A HUGE thanks to everyone who contributed to making this past race weekend happen and to those who keep the entire team running, especially Molly and Luke-I don’t know how they do it, but I’m impressed! Looking forward to the next race weekend, which is coming up real quick. Thanks for reading!!

Mackinzie

No comments:

Post a Comment