Monday, March 25

Kristin's Walla Walla race report


     It was a weekend of firsts. First race, first crash, first ER visit. I had been anticipating this weekend all break and was so excited to finally get back on my bike after a couple of weeks off! I was dropped almost immediately by the Women's B riders, but Rose, Jenna and I stuck together to form our own group and eventually build our own C group peloton. I had an absolute blast getting to know the other girls and working with them to cruise around the course....until I overlapped wheels with another rider and down I went. People usually say that in those situations, time seems to slow down and your life flashes before your eyes. For me, it happened so quickly that all I could think when I saw our wheels cross was "I'm going down," and then I had landed and skidded on my right side on the road. The first thing I saw was my ripped tights and the bloody, mangled mess that was my right knee underneath. Two very nice guys who were riding behind us stopped, helped me up, and waved down a nearby support car which drove me to the start line where the EMTs checked me out. I was surprisingly in very good spirits and was laughing and joking with the EMT as he scrubbed out my knee. They suggested that I get stitches, so my mom drove me to the ER, and the entire car ride there I was just blabbing on about this and that - probably due to shock and the adrenalin rush. Luckily, nothing was broken and the doctor said that I didn't really need stitches, but that the wound would heal and scab over on its own. As the shock wore off, the pain and stiffness increased. I didn't want to feel completely useless, so I continued to help out with and cheer on the team throughout the rest of the weekend - plus moving around helped keep my knee from stiffening up. 
     SO, it wasn't the best way to start my racing season right off the bat with a crash, but I had so much fun hanging out with the team and eating a ton of food. I LOVE the cycling atmosphere because everyone is just so nice and supportive. I can't wait to get back on my bike and experience the thrill of finishing a race!

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're okay! Cycling is a great sport and I look forward to seeing you back at the races soon.

    ReplyDelete