Thursday, March 14

Alberto's race report from U of O (March 2-3)


First Race Weekend as an A!

I thought I would share a few of my thoughts on my first race in the Men’s A field.  I was a bit nervous leading into the weekend because I had never raced at this level before.  I had seen how fast they were but still didn’t know how it would feel from within the race.  I was also really excited because my parents and my brother were going to be there!

The Road race started off very quickly up the first little climb.  I was surprised by how hard they went right off the gun.  Apparently some gaps opened up within the first half mile, with one person almost getting dropped!  I was comfortable sitting in the pack as we neared the main climb on the course.  It’s around 4 miles long, and is fairly steep in a couple of places.  Sure enough, about halfway up the climb I began to loose contact with the split.  I had seen people getting shelled earlier, so I knew that there were people behind me.  I kept as high of a tempo as I could and tore down the descent with the group occasionally in sight up ahead.  Part way down the descent my chain fell off of my cassette and got a bit jammed between the cassette and the frame.  I managed to get it out but was hesitant to use my biggest gear for the rest of the race.

Flying down the descent.  Right before my chain jumped off.


I never caught the lead group, but I ended up joining a few other guys and we kept on going.  We started off as four, but by the end there were seven of us.  The last time up the climb a few of the guys in the group were stronger than me and got away.  I came to the finishing climb with two other guys.  My legs were close to cramping completely so I decided to try and ride the other guys off my wheel rather than attack hard.  Luckily they were pretty tired because I was able to distance them without too much difficulty, and the cramps only hit right before I crossed the line.

The TTT sucked.  That’s all.  Kevin (a very strong freshman) had only raced 16 miles in the D’s that morning.  I had raced almost 60.  Kevin practically ripped my legs of in the TTT.

I was very excited for the crit.  I am a fairly good bike handler so I can normally hold my own in crits.  I hear that the A’s usually attack hard from the gun so I was ready for a fast start.  And it was fast!  However, I felt good.  I was moving around well, and none of the surges put me on the back foot.  Around ten minutes in there was a lull in the pace.  In front of me some people overlapped wheel and the guy directly in front of me went down.  I didn’t have time to react, crashed into him and went over the bars.

Before I crashed in the crit


That was my first ever crash on my road bike.  I have crashed many times on mountain bikes and cross bikes, but that was my first road crash.  Initially my breath was knocked out of me, but I got that back rather quickly.  I thought I was fine besides a little road rash.  During the car ride home, I was feeling very sore.  Especially on my right side (where I had landed).

Walking back to the cars with my brother after my crash.


My friends convinced me to go to the health center once we were back at Whitman.  The nurse I saw thought I was fine.  A few days later I began vomiting, and the pain in my side was worse because of the vomiting.  I returned to the health center, and the doctor sent me to get x-rays.  Turns out I had cracked a rib and that the broken rib caused the vomiting!

So, my spring break plans had to be cancelled.  I had been planning on doing the training camps and racing all break, but that was no longer a possibility.  So I bought a plane ticket home.

Yesterday I went for my first real ride a week and a half after the crash.  The weather was amazing.  It was hovering around 80F the entire time!  My ribs hurt while standing and pedaling, breathing deeply, or whenever I hit a bump, but it was manageable.  I think I will be able to ride gently the next couple of weeks!  And I hope to be racing again shortly!

Thanks for reading!

Alberto

No comments:

Post a Comment