Tuesday, April 23

Winning A Preme

Hey guys!  Alberto here!

Last weekend was full of a crazy amount of bike racing fun.  I think it's impossible to capture it all in a blog post like this so I decided I'd write about one part of one race.  I hope you enjoy hearing about races in great detail because that's the way I'm writing this!

Going into Saturday's Crit Luke and I both knew that we likely would not be strong enough to contest a final sprint.  Neither one of us is a fantastic sprinter.  We also knew it would be almost impossible for a break to succeed with this field (they weren't letting anything go during the RR the day before).  As you may know, I had a crash earlier this year and ended up breaking a rib so my form is not where it should be right now.  I have been doing better in crits since I don't have the endurance for the long races just yet, so this is where I wanted to put in my main effort for the weekend.

On the start line the officials announced that there would be a preme on the first lap.  I decided to skip that because it would just be too hectic.  I worked on staying near the front (top 20-30 places at least) and waited for another preme to be called.  I was getting comfortable with the turns and noticing which lines were faster, smoother, where I could keep up my momentum and attack, etc...

Maybe 15 minutes into the race another preme was called.  I was near the front and decided I would give it a go.  I moved up to the top 10 positions and began watching and waiting.  Going down the back straight I was 3rd wheel.  A bit too far forward for my liking.  Just before the last corner I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye on the outside.  I hesitated because I was so far forward.  I was afraid that if I started my sprint now I would end up leading it out for everyone else.  As we came through the final corner, that blur in the corner of my eye passed me going a good bit faster.  I jumped hard but wasn't able to come around him or the other guy on his wheel and crossed the line 3rd.  I looked back and saw that we had a decent gap on the field.  I decided to sit up rather than try and break away.

For the next part of the race I recovered and continued to watch the race unfold.  With maybe 20 mins left I heard them call a two place preme.  I thought that sounded good because I had a better shot at winning something.  Just then I saw a rider moving up on my left and instinctively jumped on his wheel.  This was perfect because I wanted to move up, and I had come to realize that the left side allowed you to carry a bit more speed through a few corners.  As often happens, when one side of the peloton surges, the other sides surges as well.  Just as my side was settling onto the front I saw Luke moving up on the right.  He soon hit the front and I was within the first 7-10 riders.  He kept the pace pretty high and strung out the field a bit more to prevent more surges.

Going through the second to last corner I kept my speed up and slid onto the wheel of a guy who was moving up.  Just before the last corner I saw a red flash on my right.  I was a few places farther back than last time so I immediately jumped and grabbed onto his wheel without hesitation.  He sprinted out of the corner hard but I was locked in.  I added one more gear and waited for my moment.  Standing, but not sprinting 100% just yet.  I knew that at least one guy was right behind me (I could hear him) but I couldn't check for more, or worry about him.  The guy behind me started to come around us on the left and I continued to wait for the right moment.  I left a bit more than a wheel length between me and the rider in front of me (Rad Racing, red jersey).  Just as the other rider was pulling ahead of me, I accelerated in the red guy's draft and pulled around him.  The three of us were then sprinting abreast and hit the line at almost the same time.  I gave it my best bike throw.  The red guy dropped back quickly but I asked the other guy if he knew who had won.  He said he thought that I had.  I told him I had no idea.  We congratulated each other on a good, fun, safe sprint and sat up for the pack.

After the race, I thanked Luke for his work.  Arika then showed up and I asked her who had won the preme.  When she said I'd won it I was super happy.  I had worked pretty hard and so had Luke.  It's immensely satisfying when a team effort comes together and you are able to get the result you wanted.  It's not often that you set yourself a goal and achieve it like that.

Debi took this right after Luke and I found out that I had won the preme.  Captures the emotion of the moment pretty well I'd say...


I hope you guys enjoyed reading about the amount of thought, strategy, and planning that goes into racing.  I also hope this wasn't too long winded!!!  Remember, that this is just a description of one part of one race from one weekend.  I could write several theses on the entire season!!!!

See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment