Wednesday, April 10

Becca's UW Race Report


I have just finished my race. I am cold and wet, -and did I mention cold?- as I swoop back around to the finish line, having just finished a hair before Kristen and a smidgen behind another girl. Kristen rides up next to me and whispers just so I can hear:
"Becca, did you know that that rider in front of us was a GIRL?"
"Yeah."
Kristen chuckles, "Huh. I was wondering why a boy would be sprinting against us, but now it makes sense." Our conversation comes to a halt as we cheer in Rose and her newfound UW friend.
After we ride back to the trailer, I give my mom a quick call. "Hi mom! Where are you?"
I was expecting to hear, "Coming back to the trailer," but instead I hear, "Waiting for the girls A to come by."
I blink, a tad confused. I glance down at my watch. 11:40. "Uh, mom? The girl's don't start until 1."
"WHAT? But on the flyer it said...oh well. I guess that explains why we haven't seen Molly or Rachel." It wouldn't be until another 20 Minutes before I see my mom, though, as she and Kristen's mom managed to get lost coming back.
When the actual time for the men's A and women's A+ men's B races came around, my mom take us around the course to cheer them on.  At one stop, a corner marshal offers us pizza (they have an entire car full of Pizza! No joke!) and lets me yell into the megaphone. At another stop, it got so wet and cold that all I was willing to do was huddle in the car and open the doors to shout "Go Whitman!" for no more than a few seconds before huddling back into the car's warmth.
The time trial comes around a time when the tends to drop. Oh joy. Kristen, Rose and I roll up to the start line. Right as the official gives us the signal and we clip in, I feel a drop of rain on my hand. I look up to see a sheet of rain coming down, and we get to ride in it. "You've got to be kidding me." I say.
Oh, the joys of North Bend.

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment