Wednesday, April 9

Becca's Home Race Report

I had an idea. A crazy idea, but an idea nonetheless.

It came to me as we were reaching the top of the first hill. The girls were powering up the hill at a ridiculous speed.  I sat behind Fiona’s wheel, who seemed unfazed by the pace and incline. Leading the entire group up the slope was Talia, aka “The Beast.”  I swear, that girl doesn’t have “slow” in her vocabulary.

As we crested the top, I bit down hard. This could either work beautifully, or fail miserably, I thought.  But hey, that’s a 50/50 chance, right?  Statistically speaking, those weren’t terrible odds.  So, as we crested over the hill, I stood up and did what I have never done before.

I attacked.

As I pedaled furiously between the riders, all I could think was, You are crazy. This is insane. You are going to burn yourself out.  At the bottom of the hill I glanced behind me to see how the peloton had held up, but to my surprise, I saw Talia, Mckenzie, and Fiona with a few other girls amongst them. We had lost the main peloton with four of our own teammates.

And in looking back, I had slowed down significantly. Oops.  But dang it all, I had attacked, and it had worked! I felt like doing a little jig until I remembered I was clipped into a bike, so I had to refrain.


In the Women’s B, a special thanks to Fiona and Talia for being the best tag-team ever,  McKenzie M. and Kristin for beasting it in the TTT, Sam for always smiling (seriously, when are you never beaming?), Ellie for being able to laugh off an epic fall and for having a spectacular TTT prior to that, and Rose for having her best road race yet, and for being the best, joyful corner-marshal buddy ever!

-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment