Thursday, March 14

Becca's OSU race report (Crit)


Woman’s C racers line up to the line. I roll up next to Rose. She’s beaming; this is her first Crit and she couldn’t be more excited to put the pedal to the metal today, despite our sore thighs from yesterday’s Road Race and TTT.  I smile weakly back, mainly due to the fact that racing with Rachel, Molly, and her the day before had built up more lactic acid in my legs than I cared to admit. Oh dear, I thought. This is going to be a VERY painful Crit.

As the race official begins reading off our names, Luke weaves in between the other bikes and gives Mackinzie, Rose, and me a few high fives. “You’re going to do awesome, ladies!”  I give him thumbs up, trying-but failing- to hide how uncomfortable those stomach butterflies were making me.  I set my hands on my handle bars and wait for that whistle:

“TWEEEEEET!”

And off we went. I pushed off and clipped in… or tried to clip in. The bloody clips weren’t going in! “You’ve got to be kidding me!” I said as the peloton raced off ahead of me. (At least I didn’t try to take someone out during this process like yesterday during the roll-out start).  Try again—nope. Try again—nope. Try again—yes! (It wouldn’t be until a few days later that I discovered that that particular clip was actually missing a vital screw. Apparently, it wasn’t simply user issues).  

I spent the first part of the race simply catching up to people. About ten minutes in, I saw a racer ahead of me, whom I recognized to be one of the girls I had drafted and pulled with the day before in the Road Race. I caught up to her, and as I passed her, she slipped in behind me to draft. Now, for any of you who have not raced, the adrenaline pumping through your body at this point is incredibly high. Your filter for every day conversation vanishes, and you find that you yell really loudly to communicate. So, rather than telling her, “We should take turns pulling”, I screamed at the top of my lungs, “IF YOU’RE GOING TO BE PULLED, YOU’D BETTER PULL TOO!” And with that, she dropped off.  I wouldn’t feel guilty about yelling at her until after the race.

Towards the end, I caught up with a group of girls. I was feeling strong, and due to my apparent overdose of adrenaline, cocky, so I tried to pass everyone. Not my brightest idea. All of them started drafting off of me, and I was too stubborn to let them pull. I can do this. I can totally shake them. Hmm. I’m starting to get tired. This is getting harder than I thought. At the last lap, the girls passed me with little effort. Lesson for today: Don’t pull continuously like a fool.

After cooling down and wiping away the sweat, I made my way over to the results. I read, “12, Mellema, 307, WC, 1…” Wait, what? “I got a point?” I whispered? A point, a single point. That’s as much as a penny, yet it was enough to send me running to Rachel and Rose, whooping, “IgotapointIgotapointIgotapoint!”  Nothing like a good crit to get you excited about everything in life, even when your legs feel like jello.

1 comment: